Anyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Consumers who rate shop once a year are very likely to switch to a new company because there is a high probability of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent survey found that consumers who did price comparisons regularly saved on average $72 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the cheapest price on Volvo XC70 insurance is your ultimate target, learning the best way to quote and compare coverage rates can help make the process easier and more efficient.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to save on car insurance rates in Dallas is to compare quotes annually from companies who provide auto insurance in Texas. This can be done by completing these steps.
First, gain an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as inattentive driving and an imperfect credit history can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
Second, get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies. View rates
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Dallas. If you can save some money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important bit of advice to remember is to use the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to compare as many different companies as possible. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance is expensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some discounts will apply at quote time, but some must be manually applied before being credited. If you don’t get every credit you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can earn big discounts in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low annual miles could be rewarded with substantially lower car insurance rates.
- Seat Belt Usage – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving can save 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Safety Course Discount – Passing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could save 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Accident Waiver – Not a discount per se, but companies like State Farm and Progressive will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
One thing to note about discounts is that many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Volvo XC70 premium costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The prices are based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Texas state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-car, multi-policy, and marriage discounts applied.
A list of car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, multi-vehicle, anti-theft, seat belt use, good student, emergency military deployment, and federal employee.
- Travelers has savings for driver training, new car, multi-car, save driver, early quote, continuous insurance, and IntelliDrive.
- Nationwide offers discounts including defensive driving, business or organization, anti-theft, multi-policy, easy pay, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for switch companies, teen driver, electronic funds transfer, multi-car, and alternative fuel.
- Esurance may offer discounts for anti-lock brakes, Switch & Save, DriveSense, paid-in-full, renters, Pac-12 alumni, and claim free.
- State Farm has discounts for anti-theft, accident-free, multiple policy, safe vehicle, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, online signing, online quote discount, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including low natural disaster claims, good student, annual mileage, ease of repair, good driver, accident-free, and multi-car.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every insurance company which discounts they offer. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies in every state. For a list of insurers with the best Volvo XC70 insurance discounts in Dallas, click this link.
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from all the different companies. The best method to find cheaper Volvo XC70 rates consists of shopping online.
Doing online price quotes comparisons is so easy that it takes the place of having to make phone calls or go to different Dallas agent offices. Quoting Volvo XC70 insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional abilities that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. Although, it is possible price shop online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
When comparison shopping, comparing a large number of companies will increase your chances of finding a better price.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Texas. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Rates and data analysis
The premium information displayed next showcases estimates of prices for Volvo XC70 models. Being able to understand how insurance policy premiums are established can assist in making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|XC70 3.2 AWD Station Wagon||$336||$538||$444||$26||$132||$1,476||$123|
|XC70 T6 AWD 4-Dr||$336||$620||$444||$26||$132||$1,558||$130|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in specific garaging location which can raise or lower auto insurance rates substantially.
The example below highlights how deductible choice and can raise or lower Volvo XC70 insurance costs for different insured age categories. The data assumes a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
How accidents and tickets impact rates
The example below demonstrates how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions raise Volvo XC70 car insurance rates for different age categories. The costs are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied.
Annual premiums comparing men and women in Dallas
The chart below shows the comparison of Volvo XC70 car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The data assumes no claims or driving citations, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Volvo XC70 full coverage rates compared to liability only
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Volvo XC70 insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Texas. The premium estimates are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no definitive guideline to stop paying for comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s pretend your Volvo XC70 claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying in excess of $700 annually for physical damage coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not recommended. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not buy liability only.
Five Things That Determine Your Insurance Premiums
Many things are part of the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, although some other factors are less obvious such as your marital status or your financial responsibility.
- Pay less with a high crash test rating – Safer cars cost less to insure. These vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means less money paid by your insurance company passed on to you as lower rates. If the Volvo XC70 has at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may be receiving a better rate.
- Car insurance claims cost money – Insurance companies in Texas generally give most affordable rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Your insurance policy is designed for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- How much liability insurance – The liability coverage on your policy will afford coverage if you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Better car insurance rates for uninterrupted coverage – Having a lapse in insurance coverage is a guaranteed way to bump up your car insurance costs. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance could result in a revoked license or a big fine.
- Avoid unnecessary extra coverages – There are quite a few optional add-on coverages that can add up on your XC70 policy. Insurance for things like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and membership fees are some examples. You may think they are a good idea when buying your policy, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Volvo XC70 historical loss data – Insurance companies use claims history when setting rates for each model. Vehicles that historically have higher frequency or amount of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The next table illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Volvo XC70 vehicles.
For each coverage category, the statistical loss for all vehicles compiled together equals 100. Percentage values below 100 represent a good loss history, while percentages above 100 point to more claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Volvo XC70 Vehicles Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 2WD 69 Volvo XC70 Station Wagon 4WD 79 70 94 45BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Independent and exclusive insurance agents
Some people would rather get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheap car insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
After filling out this simple form, your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Dallas who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. You don’t have to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. You can get cheaper car insurance rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you want to get a price quote from one company in particular, you can always navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Picking an company is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Dallas?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reputable agency, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Insurance agencies in Dallas are considered either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Dallas that are able to give rate quotes.
Jim Franco – State Farm Insurance Agent
3720 Walnut Hill Ln #203 – Dallas, TX 75229 – (214) 358-3246 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not have single company limitations so they have the ability to put coverage with a variety of different insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to get insurance quotes from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Dallas that can give you rate quotes.
Insurance is not optional in Texas
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volvo in Dallas, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Volvo for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves both your car and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Volvo as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially if you ever need it. Unknowingly, the average driver is wasting up to $830 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison each time the policy renews to save money.
One last thing to lower rates
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, drivers have reduced liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
More affordable car insurance in Dallas is available on the web and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and usually these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
- How to Avoid Common Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a School Permit in Dallas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Nissan Sentra in Dallas? (FAQ)
- What Determines the Price of My Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)