Unimaginable but true, the vast majority of Texas insurance customers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared insurance rates at all. Drivers in the United States could pocket 46.5% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rates and save money.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper Nissan Xterra insurance in Dallas is to compare prices annually from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Texas.
- Try to understand how insurance works and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher prices such as high-risk driving behaviors and bad credit can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover more information to help prevent costly coverage and find overlooked discounts.
- Quote rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment to your new agent or company. Immediately store the certificate verifying coverage in an accessible location in your vehicle.
One tip to remember is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to compare as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
If you have a policy now or just want cheaper coverage, you can use these tips to buy cheaper insurance and still get good coverage. Locating the best insurance company for you in Dallas is quite easy. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the proper way to shop from many companies at once.
Cheapest Nissan insurance prices in Dallas
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Texas. If the list has multiple companies, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
The coverage table shown next showcases estimates of coverage costs for Nissan Xterra models. Learning a little about how premiums are determined can be of help when making smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Xterra X 2WD||$208||$258||$382||$22||$114||$984||$82|
|Xterra S 2WD||$208||$258||$382||$22||$114||$984||$82|
|Xterra S 4WD||$208||$258||$382||$22||$114||$984||$82|
|Xterra X 4WD||$208||$258||$382||$22||$114||$984||$82|
|Xterra Off Road 4WD||$240||$328||$382||$22||$114||$1,086||$91|
|Xterra SE 2WD||$240||$328||$382||$22||$114||$1,086||$91|
|Xterra SE 4WD||$240||$328||$382||$22||$114||$1,086||$91|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data variables include married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can decrease or increase coverage prices noticeably.
Tickets and at-fault accidents raise rates
The illustration below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault claims drive up Nissan Xterra insurance premiums for each age group. The prices are based on a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Does full coverage make sense?
The example below illustrates the comparison of Nissan Xterra premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The premiums are based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no definitive guideline of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Nissan Xterra claim settlement value is $7,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are currently paying more than $600 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Discounts for cheap insurance rates
Some providers don’t list every discount they offer very clearly, so below is a list a few of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving when you buy Dallas car insurance online.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Dallas drivers who agree to allow data collection to study where and when they drive through the use of a telematics system such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive might see lower rates if their driving habits are good.
- Accident Waiver – This one isn’t a discount, but companies like GEICO and Allstate allow you one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Driver Education Discount – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers participate in a local driver’s education class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car model can get you a discount because new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Distant College Student Discount – Children living away from Dallas attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Dallas Homeowners Pay Less – Simply owning a home can get you a discount because of the fact that having a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Organization Discounts – Joining a professional or civic organization can get you a small discount on your bill.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less than less cautious drivers.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
A little disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply the whole policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies don’t profit that way. But any discount will help lower the cost of coverage.
The information below shows the difference between Nissan Xterra insurance premiums with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, no claims or driving citations, Texas state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, homeowner, marriage, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Insurance companies that possibly offer some of the above discounts possibly include:
When getting free Dallas car insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every company how many discounts you can get. Discounts might not be available to policyholders everywhere. To see providers that offer multiple discounts in Dallas, click this link.
Buy Cheaper Insurance with These Tips
Many things are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some are obvious like your driving record, but other criteria are more obscure such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get lower premium levels.
- Raising comp and collision deductibles saves money – Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, helps pay for damage to your vehicle. Examples of some claims that would be covered are running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles are how much you are required to pay if the claim is covered. The more of the claim you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Save by driving less – The more you drive every year the higher your rates will be. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates than those used for commuting. Having the wrong rating on your Xterra can result in significantly higher rates. Verify your insurance coverage is rated on the correct usage.
Which gender costs less? – Statistics have proven women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that males are worse at driving than females. Males and females tend to get into fender benders in similar numbers, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Men also get higher numbers of serious violations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 are most likely to cause an accident and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Nissan Xterra premium costs for male and female drivers. Data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
- Safety ratings are a factor – Safe vehicles can get you lower premiums. Safer cars reduce injuries and fewer serious injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and thus lower rates. If your Nissan Xterra is rated at a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may qualify for a discount.
- Your job is a factor – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupations like military generals, police officers, and financial analysts generally have the highest rates because of high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, jobs like farmers, historians and homemakers pay the least.
- Save money by having excellent credit – An insured’s credit rating will be a significant factor in calculating your premium rate. Therefore, if your credit history can use some improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your Nissan Xterra by taking the time to improve your credit score. People with excellent credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit.
- You may save more by bundling policies – Most larger insurers provide lower prices to buyers who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. This can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount applied, it’s always a smart idea to check prices from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a good possibility that you can find lower rates by insuring with multiple companies.
Loss statistics for a Nissan Xterra – Insurance companies analyze historical claim data to help calculate premium costs. Models that are shown to have increased claim numbers or amounts will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The next table shows the loss history for Nissan Xterra vehicles. For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles averaged together is equal to 100. Numbers below 100 represent a good loss history, while percentages above 100 indicate frequent claims or an increased likelihood of larger losses.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Nissan Xterra Models Specific Nissan Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Nissan Xterra 4dr 2WD 57 95 45 Nissan Xterra 4dr 4WD 62 100 63 59 77 86BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When quoting and comparing your policy, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether or not you will benefit from professional help.
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Does rental coverage apply when I am renting a car?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Do I have newly-acquired coverage?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
Can’t I compare prices from local Dallas insurance agencies?
Certain consumers would prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Professional agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and also buy local. Supporting neighborhood agents is definitely important in Dallas.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. You don’t have to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you need to compare prices from one company in particular, you just need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
When looking for an insurance agent, you should know the different types of agencies and how they work. Agencies in Dallas are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can handle car insurance, but it’s worth learning how they differ because it can factor into your agent selection.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations so they can write business with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, the business is moved internally and you don’t have to find a new agent. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, you will definitely want to compare prices from at a minimum one independent agency to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Dallas that can give you cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below are Dallas exclusive insurance agents willing to provide comparison quotes.
Picking an car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. A good agent in Dallas will have answers to these questions.
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- How many years have they been established?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
Quote more and you will save more
Some companies may not have online quoting and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agents. Discount Nissan Xterra insurance is attainable online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
In this article, we covered a lot of ways to get a better price on Nissan Xterra insurance in Dallas. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company.
As you quote Dallas car insurance, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your objective should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price.
For more information, link through to these articles:
- How Does Hitting a Deer Impact Insurance Rates? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Dallas Car Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)