It takes a little time, but the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates is to annually compare prices from different companies in Dallas. This can be done by following these guidelines.
- Take a few minutes and learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can control to keep rates in check. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a not-so-good credit score can be rectified by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. This article gives ideas to get cheaper coverage and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Dallas. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the required down payment along with the signed application to the newly selected company. Immediately place the new proof of insurance certificate in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is that you’ll want to compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get price estimates from as many different companies as possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Unbelievably, a large majority of car insurance policyholders in Texas kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and just short of a majority have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. American consumers could save as much as $850 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t know the big savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Finding the cheapest car insurance coverage in Dallas is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. If you’re already insured or just want a better rate, you will benefit by learning to buy cheaper car insurance while maximizing coverage. Drivers just need to learn the most efficient way to get comparison rates from many companies at once.
Coverage statistics and figures
The table displayed below outlines estimates of coverage prices for Dodge Avenger models. Having a good grasp of how auto insurance prices are formulated can aid in making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on married female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific location information which can raise or lower auto insurance rates noticeably.
The example below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can impact Dodge Avenger insurance prices for each age group. The rates are based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Responsible drivers pay cheaper auto insurance rates
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accident claims influence Dodge Avenger premium costs for each age group. The price estimates are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability only rates
The information below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Avenger auto insurance rates with full coverage compared to only the Texas minimum liability coverage. The premiums assume no violations or accidents, $250 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no written rule to drop full coverage, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Dodge Avenger replacement cost is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $300 a year for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few cases where only buying liability is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not buy liability only.
Save with these nine discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there may be some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but a few must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying a policy with primary and secondary vehicles with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- ABS Braking Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a defensive driving course is a good idea and can lower rates if you qualify.
- College Student – Older children who are attending college without a vehicle on campus could get you a discount.
- No Claims – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off depending on your insurance provider.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Buy New and Save – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save you some money due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Senior Citizen Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for a slight reduction on a Dallas car insurance quote.
It’s important to note that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The illustration below shows the difference between Dodge Avenger auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The price estimates are based on a male driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Texas state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, homeowner, claim-free, multi-car, and safe-driver discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and their offered discounts include:
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for good student, pay in full, switch companies, teen driver, alternative fuel, and early shopping.
- Esurance discounts include safety device, good driver, emergency road assistance, online quote, paid-in-full, good student, and Pac-12 alumni.
- State Farm has savings for Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, driver’s education, good student, anti-theft, good driver, and passive restraint.
- GEICO may have discounts that include military active duty, emergency military deployment, driver training, good student, and five-year accident-free.
- Allstate offers premium reductions for teenSMART discount, early signing, premier discount, EZ pay plan discount, and auto/life discount.
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be available in Dallas.
The coverage is in the details
Having a good grasp of car insurance can help you determine the right coverages for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision – This coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as damage from flooding, hitting a bird, vandalism and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for liability – This will cover damages or injuries you inflict on a person or their property. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have liability limits of 30/60/25 that means you have a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and a total limit of $25,000 for damage to vehicles and property.
Liability coverage pays for things such as attorney fees, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, medical expenses and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below shows why minimum state limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
UM/UIM Coverage – This gives you protection from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and also any damage incurred to your Dodge Avenger.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (30/60/25 in Texas), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Collision – Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Avenger resulting from a collision with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things such as scraping a guard rail, hitting a mailbox, rolling your car and driving through your garage door. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your Avenger to bring the cost down.
Medical costs insurance – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for short-term medical expenses such as chiropractic care, funeral costs, prosthetic devices and X-ray expenses. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Lower rates by being persistent
As you shop your coverage around, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, someone dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cheaper Dodge Avenger insurance in Dallas is attainable both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Dallas car insurance with both to have the best selection. Some companies do not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Other learning opportunities
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 4×4 Vehicles in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Dallas Car Insurance Quotes with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Female in Dallas? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male in Dallas? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)