Tired of scraping the payment together to keep your car insured? You are no different than the majority of other vehicle owners in Texas.
Statistics show that most auto insurance buyers in Texas kept their policy with the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never compared quotes from other companies. Many consumers in America could save roughly $859 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they assume it’s a waste of time to compare other rate quotes.
Companies like Progressive, State Farm and GEICO constantly blast consumers with ad campaigns and it is difficult to avoid their marketing magic and do the work needed to find the best deal.
Smart consumers take time to get comparison quotes at least once a year because prices tend to go up over time. Even if you got the lowest rates on Kia Sorento insurance in Dallas six months ago there may be better deals available now. You can find a lot of information about Sorento insurance out there, but I’m going to show you a bunch of ideas how to put money back in your pocket.
Keep in mind that comparing more prices gives you a better chance of getting the best price.
The following companies have been selected to offer price comparisons in Texas. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Discount Dallas car insurance quotes
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but you might already qualify for some discounts to help bring down the price. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but once in a while a discount must be inquired about before you get the savings. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Distant Student Discount – Older children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Dallas without a vehicle on campus may qualify for this discount.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles on the same car insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Safe Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than less cautious drivers.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Car insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower car insurance rate if you buy some life insurance too.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Insureds that choose to allow their insurance company to study driving patterns by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Student Discounts – Excelling in school could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Safety Course Discount – Completing a course teaching defensive driver skills can save you 5% or more and easily pay for the cost of the class.
One last thing about discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
A few popular companies and a selection of discounts can be found below.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including early quote, IntelliDrive, student away at school, new car, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century discounts include good student, anti-lock brakes, driver training, student driver, teen driver, and air bags.
- State Farm may have discounts that include driver’s education, safe vehicle, multiple autos, good driver, multiple policy, and student away at school.
- GEICO may offer discounts for seat belt use, daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and air bags.
- SAFECO offers discounts including drive less, teen safe driver, safe driver, anti-theft, homeowner, accident prevention training, and teen safety rewards.
- AAA offers discounts for good student, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, education and occupation, anti-theft, and good driver.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company to apply every possible discount. Discounts may not apply in Dallas.
Auto insurance quotes from local Dallas insurance agents
Some consumers prefer to buy from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting small agencies is important particularly in Dallas.
After filling out this quick form, your information is instantly submitted to companies in Dallas who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your house because prices are sent to you. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to get a price quote for a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
If you need to find a reliable agent, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they are slightly different. Agents may be either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent are not employed by one company so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies which is easy for the insured.
When shopping rates, it’s recommended you contact several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agencies in Dallas that may be able to give competitive price quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Comparable Insurance Agency Inc
9750 Walnut St Ste 106 – Dallas, TX 75243 – (214) 575-2750 – View Map
These type of agents work for only one company such as State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are trained well on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in Dallas that are able to give comparison quotes.
Deciding on a insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When buying coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different and your auto insurance should be unique as well.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- What is the ISO rating for a Kia Sorento?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- How does medical payments coverage work?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
Car insurance coverage considerations
Learning about specific coverages of your car insurance policy can be of help when determining the right coverages for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverage types found on the average car insurance policy.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This coverage gives you protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Texas drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Normally the UM/UIM limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP reimburse you for bills for dental work, rehabilitation expenses, funeral costs and nursing services. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers you and your occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like a broken windshield, rock chips in glass and fire damage. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property that is your fault. It protects you from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 30/60/25 which means a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims such as bail bonds, legal defense fees, medical services, medical expenses and loss of income. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The chart below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be enough.
Collision coverage pays for damage to your Sorento from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for things like driving through your garage door, hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building and hitting a mailbox. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also increase the deductible on your Sorento to save money on collision insurance.
Frequent quotes can save
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to reduce Kia Sorento insurance rates online in Dallas. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Dallas auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest priced insurance comes from a smaller regional carrier. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
Some insurance companies may not offer online price quotes and these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agents. Cheaper Kia Sorento insurance in Dallas is definitely available from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection.
How to buy affordable Kia Sorento insurance in Dallas
The easiest way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to start comparing prices yearly from providers in Dallas.
First, try to understand how companies set rates and the things you can control to lower rates. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and a poor credit rating can be eliminated by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
Second, compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from many different companies. View prices
Third, compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Dallas. If you can save some money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Fourth, tell your current company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new agent or company. Once the paperwork is finalized, safely store the certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location.
One important bit of advice is that you’ll want to compare identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to compare as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a level playing field and the best price selection.
Additional insurance information is available at these links:
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Dallas Car Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- When is the Right Time to Switch Car Insurance Companies? (Allstate)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)