Inconceivable but true, most Texas insurance customers have bought insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just under half have never compared quotes from other companies. Drivers in America could save themselves nearly $850 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to find cheap insurance by shopping around.
If you want to save money, the best way to get the cheapest Chevy Trax insurance is to compare quotes once a year from different companies who provide auto insurance in Dallas. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
First, try to learn about coverages and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that drive up the price like traffic citations and a bad credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Read the full article for additional ideas to prevent high prices and get bigger discounts.
Second, compare price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a better price and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a completed policy application and payment to the new company. Once the paperwork is finalized, safely store the proof of insurance paperwork in your glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is to compare identical limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to look at as many carriers as you can. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a thorough price selection.
Dallas insurance discounts for a Chevy Trax
Some insurers don’t always publicize every policy discount in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list a few of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Dallas car insurance online.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Dallas car insurance quote as opposed to bad drivers.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with a few auto insurance companies.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems have a lower chance of being stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- ABS Brakes – Cars and trucks with ABS and/or traction control prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Own a Home and Save – Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car model can save you some money because new model year vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Use Seat Belts – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use a seat belt can save a little off the PIP or medical payment premium.
- Data Collection Discounts – Policyholders that allow their auto insurance company to spy on their driving habits by using a telematic data system such as State Farm’s In-Drive could possibly reduce rates if their driving habits are good.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront as opposed to paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
You should keep in mind that most credits do not apply the whole policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
Auto insurance companies that may have most of the discounts above may include but are not limited to:
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts might not be offered on policies in Dallas. To see insurance companies that offer the discounts shown above in Texas, click here.
When comparison shopping, getting more free quotes will increase your chances of finding more affordable rates. Not every company provides rate quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare quotes from them, too.
The following companies provide quotes in Texas. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When selecting a policy, there really is no “best” method to buy coverage. Your needs are unique to you so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions might help in determining whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Do all my vehicles need collision coverage?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- How can I force my company to pay a claim?
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Should I buy only the required Texas minimum liability coverage?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Texas?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Compare rates but buy from a local Dallas insurance agent
A lot of people just prefer to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheaper premium rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Dallas.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the quote information is submitted to participating agents in Dallas who will return price quotes for your coverage. There is no need to search for an agent because prices are sent immediately to you. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to compare prices for a specific company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
When finding a local agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies to choose from. Dallas agents can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing insurance prices, we recommend you contact at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Dallas that may be able to provide rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot compare rates from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are trained well on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Below are exclusive agents in Dallas who can help you get comparison quotes.
Finding a good car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is there a local claims center in Dallas?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Dallas?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
Here’s why insurance is not optional
Even though Dallas Trax insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability in order to be legal. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Trax with a loan, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy for a lot more money and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Chevy and your personal assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your Chevy gets damaged, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. But the average American driver is overpaying over $750 every year so compare quotes from several companies every year to save money.
Car insurance specifics
Knowing the specifics of car insurance can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Car insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the normal coverages offered by car insurance companies.
Comprehensive auto coverage
This will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things such as damage from flooding, fire damage, theft, vandalism and falling objects. The most your car insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
This provides protection from damage that occurs to people or other property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 30/60/25 that translate to $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property. Some companies may use one number which is a combined single limit which limits claims to one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage pays for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, emergency aid, pain and suffering and structural damage. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
UM/UIM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Trax.
Since many Texas drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (30/60/25 in Texas), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important. Most of the time these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical payments and PIP coverage
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for short-term medical expenses for things like EMT expenses, pain medications and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things like crashing into a ditch, rolling your car, sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and colliding with another moving vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to bump up the deductible on your Trax to bring the cost down.
More comparisons equals cheap rates
As you quote Dallas car insurance, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Cheap Chevy Trax insurance in Dallas can be bought online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a School Permit in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Dallas Car Insurance Quotes for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Seniors in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Honda warning system reduces insurance claims (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)