Really, the only way to find cheaper auto insurance rates in Carrollton is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies who provide auto insurance in Texas. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
First, it will benefit you to learn about what is in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases such as accidents, traffic violations, and a bad credit rating can be rectified by paying attention to minor details. Later in this article we will cover more details to help keep prices low and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
Second, compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from many different companies. Click to view companies
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on insurance in Carrollton. If you can save money, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
Fourth, notify your agent or company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit a completed policy application and payment to your new insurance company. As soon as you receive it, put the new certificate verifying coverage along with your vehicle registration.
One important bit of advice is to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Regrettably, almost 70% of insureds in Texas kept buying from the same company for over three years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. American drivers could cut their rates by almost 46.5% a year just by comparing rates, but they feel it’s too difficult to find cheaper rates by getting comparison quotes.
When quoting insurance, remember that comparing more prices gives you a better chance of getting lower pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give online rate quotes, so you should also compare prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Texas. If several companies are displayed, it’s highly recommended you get price quotes from several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$1,196||$598||$100|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,234||$617||$103|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Ford F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$1,004||$502||$84|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,194||$597||$100|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$898||$449||$75|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 2WD||$918||$459||$77|
|Honda Civic DX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$976||$488||$81|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$1,062||$531||$89|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,138||$569||$95|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,214||$607||$101|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Price data assumes single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific Carrollton garaging location which can alter rates substantially.
Auto insurance policy discounts
Some providers don’t always advertise all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below contains a few of the more common as well as the least known ways to save on auto insurance. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- Multi-car Discount – Having primary and secondary vehicles with the same auto insurance company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- E-sign Discounts – A few larger online companies provide a small discount just for signing your application online.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently so companies will give you a small discount.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save a little off the personal injury premium cost.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you have no claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking part in a defensive driver course could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Smart Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will cut the cost of coverage.
Large auto insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- State Farm offers discounts for student away at school, safe vehicle, good driver, defensive driving training, multiple policy, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- GEICO may offer discounts for driver training, membership and employees, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, and air bags.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for newly retired, new vehicle discount, multi-car, good student, new graduate, and exclusive group savings.
- The Hartford discounts include anti-theft, bundle, good student, air bag, driver training, and vehicle fuel type.
- MetLife may include discounts for accident-free, claim-free, multi-policy, good student, good driver, defensive driver
- Progressive has discounts for multi-vehicle, online signing, good student, homeowner, and continuous coverage.
If you need lower rates, check with every insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies in your state. To choose insurers with significant discounts in Texas, click here to view.
Get cheap car insurance with these tips
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that aid in calculating your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find better car insurance rates. Many different elements are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but others are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces companies use to determine your premiums.
- Don’t skimp on liability coverage – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage will provide protection when you are determined to be liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Prevent car insurance policy lapses – Having an insurance coverage lapse can be a sure-fire way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage may earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Annual miles is a factor – The higher the mileage driven in a year the more you’ll pay to insure it. A lot of insurance companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than those that get driven frequently. Ask your agent if your car insurance policy is rated on annual mileage, because it can save money.
- Optional features that lower premiums – Choosing a vehicle that has a built-in theft deterrent system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves such as OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.