Truthfully, the best way to save money on auto insurance prices in Dallas is to begin comparing prices regularly from companies that insure vehicles in Texas.
- Try to learn about policy coverages and the things you can control to drop your rates. Many factors that result in higher prices such as speeding and an imperfect credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper coverage is available. If you can save money and change companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a completed application and payment to the new company. Once the application is submitted, place the new certificate of insurance in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One thing to remember is to make sure you're comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on each quote and and to analyze as many different companies as possible. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
It's an obvious conclusion that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Consumers who shop around for the cheapest rate will most likely move their business because there are good odds of finding a lower rate. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who did price comparisons regularly saved $72 a month compared to people who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding low prices for auto insurance is your target objective, then understanding how to choose a company and compare cheaper coverage can help simplify the process.
Save a ton on auto insurance with these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not advertise every available discount very clearly, so we break down both well-publicized as well as the least known credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Dallas car insurance online.
- Multiple Vehicles - Buying a policy with primary and secondary vehicles with the same company could earn a price break for each car.
- Discount for Good Grades - This discount could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. The good student discount can last until age 25.
- Senior Citizens - If you're over the age of 55, you may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- E-sign - Certain insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on their website.
- Early Renewal Discounts - Select companies give a discount for switching policies before your current coverage expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- New Car Discount - Buying a new car model can save up to 30% since newer models are generally safer.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So despite the fact that it appears it's possible to get free car insurance, that's just not realistic. Any qualifying discounts will lower your overall premium however.
To see a list of companies that offer many of these discounts in Texas, click this link.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$1,666||$833||$139|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Hero||$1,456||$728||$121|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$1,704||$852||$142|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$1,490||$745||$124|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$1,510||$755||$126|
|Ford Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$1,700||$850||$142|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,230||$615||$103|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,632||$816||$136|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,352||$676||$113|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,578||$789||$132|
|Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4WD 2-Dr||$1,368||$684||$114|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,758||$879||$147|
|Toyota Camry Hybrid||$1,670||$835||$139|
|Toyota Corolla S||$1,544||$772||$129|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$1,456||$728||$121|
|Volkswagen Jetta SE 2.5 Station Wagon||$1,474||$737||$123|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, claim-free, and multi-policy. Estimates do not factor in vehicle location which can lower or raise insurance rates considerably.
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from local Dallas car insurance companies. The best way to comparison shop is to jump online and get quotes.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it replaces the need to actually drive to each insurance agency near you. Shopping for car insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the professional abilities that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible to compare the best prices online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
When comparison shopping, comparing a wide range of rates will increase your chances of finding a lower rate.
The following companies can provide price quotes in Dallas, TX. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
What determines the cost of insurance?
Lots of factors are used when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, although others are more obscure like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
The itemized list below are just a few of the factors used by companies to determine your premiums.
- More people means more accidents - Living in small towns and rural areas has it's advantages when insuring your vehicles. Fewer people translates into fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims. Residents of big cities have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. More time behind the wheel means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Bundling policies can get discounts - Many insurance companies provide discounts to customers who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it's still a good idea to get quotes from other companies to verify if the discount is saving money.
- How do annual miles impact premiums? - Driving more miles in a year's time the higher the price you pay to insure it. Almost all companies charge rates based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Vehicles that do not get driven very much qualify for better rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Make sure your insurance coverage is rated on how each vehicle is driven.
- Optional features that lower premiums - Choosing a vehicle with advanced anti-theft systems can save you some money. Anti-theft features like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can thwart your vehicle from being stolen.
- Rates increase with driving citations - Whether or not you get tickets has a big impact on rates. Attentive drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Having just one ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have license-revoking citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
- Always keep your insurance policy in force - Not having insurance is against the law and companies may charge more for letting your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time. You may need to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Texas DMV.
- How old are your drivers? - Teenage drivers in Texas have a tendency to be more careless when driving with friends so insurance rates are higher. Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
Always keep in mind that when comparing coverage, there isn't really a "best" method to buy coverage. Everyone's situation is unique and your insurance should unique, too. For example, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation could use an agent's help.
- Can I make deliveries for my home business?
- How much can I save by bundling my policies?
- Does my liability insurance cover pulling a trailer or camper?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
- What is the rate difference between pleasure use and commuting?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
If you're not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Can't I compare rate quotes from local Dallas insurance agents?
Many people would prefer to go talk to an agent and that is OK! An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is you may find better rates and still have a local agent. Supporting local agents is still important in Dallas.
After completing this simple form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Dallas who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Different types of car insurance agents in Dallas
When narrowing the list to find local Dallas agents, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Dallas agents can either be independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies do not have single company limitations so as a result can place your coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part.
When comparing rates, you need to include several independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Listed below are Dallas independent insurance agents that can possibly get you rate quotes.
These agents work for only one company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Dallas that are able to give price quotes.
Deciding on a insurance agency requires more thought than just the bottom line cost. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Dallas?
- How are they compensated?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
Choosing vehicle insurance is an important decision
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Dallas, car insurance serves an important purpose.
First, almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a lienholder, it's guaranteed your bank will force you to buy insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance safeguards your vehicle and your assets. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying car insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Dallas is wasting up to $820 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Cheaper insurance rates are out there
Cheaper insurance in Dallas is attainable online and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop Dallas car insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
When you buy Dallas car insurance online, it's a bad idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, someone sacrificed uninsured motorist or liability limits only to discover later they didn't purchase enough coverage. The goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional insurance information is located on the following sites:
- Top Signs Your Brakes are Giving Out (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Female in Dallas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Real Estate Agents in Dallas? (FAQ)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)